The Spree Border

Exhibition in in the restored double wharf at May-Ayim-Ufer - East-West stories from Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg. 

Opening: beginning of August 2011. Open daily from noon to midnight.

The “water border” between Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg from 1949 to 1989 is the topic of the exhibition in the restored double wharf at May-Ayim-Ufer on the Kreuzberg side of the River Spree. Now a joint borough, these two districts were divided like two completely separate worlds for forty years. The Oberbaumbrücke is regarded as a symbol of Berlin’s division and is now once again a bottleneck with heavy traffic between Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg. The exhibition will focus on six topics:

  1. Cross-border trade and traffic before the building of the Berlin Wall.
  2. Border cinemas in Köpenicker and Schlesische Strasse.
  3. Changes in the everyday lives of people in Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg following the building of the Wall.
  4. Protests against the Wall.
  5. Escapes and victims at the Spree border.
  6. The Oberbaumbrücke as a sector crossing point until 1990.

Some previously unseen photographic and film documents as well as autobiographical statements will be exhibited. Young people will have the opportunity to go on historical-political canoe trips on the River Spree. 

Venue:

Exhibition space in the double wharf beside Rio Grande Café
May-Ayim-Ufer
10997 Berlin (close to the Oberbaumbrücke, underground station: Schlesisches Tor)
Opening: beginning of August 2011
Open daily from noon to midnight

Information: 

Museum of Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg
Tel.: +49 (0)30 - 5058-5233
www.kreuzbergmuseum.de

Contact:

Bezirksmuseum Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg/Museum of Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg
Martin Düspohl / Ulrike Treziak
Adalbertstraße 95A
10999 Berlin
Tel.: +49 (0)30 - 5058-5288
www.kreuzbergmuseum.de

Sperrung der Oberbaumbrücke
Closure of the Oberbaumbrücke, 1 December 1955 Photo: Karlheinz Holzhausen, © Museum of Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg
Strassensperren
On 28 July 1950, one of the street blocks erected by the East German police on the Kreuzberg side in Friedrichstrasse on the corner of Zimmerstrasse was removed. The purpose of the street blocks was to make it more difficult to cross the border with goods that had been purchased illegally in the GDR. Parts of the pillars from the Berlin Palace were used to block off the street, © Museum of Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg
Demonstration anlässlich des ersten Jahrestages des Mauerbaus
Demonstration in Köpenicker Strasse in Kreuzberg on the first anniversary of the building of the Berlin Wall. Dieter Beilig - a militant opponent of the Wall – leads a group of demonstrators to a protest rally at Gröbenufer. © Office of the Federal Commissioner for the Records of the Ministry for State Security of the former German Democratic Republic. No. MfS ZAIG-Fo-1461
Grenzanlage zwischen Friedrichshain und Kreuzberg
Border point between Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg, with St. Thomas’ Church in Kreuzberg on the right, © Office of the Federal Commissioner for the Records of the Ministry for State Security of the former German Democratic Republic. No. MfS HA XXII 5724-3